HCSD Middle School Dress Code
(excerpt from HCSD Middle School Signature Agenda Pages)
Students who reflect neatness, cleanliness and good taste are dressing for success. Student dress should not violate common safety, be a distraction, or cause a disruption of the educational process or the orderly operation of the school. In general, clothing should be clean, neat, and not frayed. Clothing should fit properly, neither too loosely nor too tightly. All students should be dressed in a manner that reflects, rather than distracts from the learning process.
The following lists some of the types of clothing that cannot be worn in any middle school
- Excessively baggy pants (must fit at waist)
- Strapless dresses
- See through clothing
- Items with suggestive lettering, pictures, symbols, alcohol or drug depictions
- Miniskirts or mini dresses
- Shirts without side seams
- Blouses, dresses or shirts that expose the stomach, sides or back; all shirts must reach the waist and cover the shoulders
- Sleeveless shirts
- Gang related attire
- Leggings without appropriate skirt, short, and/or dress coverage
- Clothes with holes or slits above the knee
Students are required to wear appropriate undergarments and shoes. Outerwear is at the discretion of each school principal. Other general guidelines for what may or may not be allowed at school (including hairstyles and coloring, jackets, jewelry, sunglasses, caps, hats, bandanas, etc.) will be given to students by the individual schools. When in the judgment of the administration the dress requirements have not been met, students will not be permitted in classes or halls until the situation is corrected. Students wearing inappropriate clothing may be sent to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, or parents may be called to bring a change of clothing. Second dress code violations may result in additional disciplinary action.